This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop Build

Discussion in 'Desktops' started by Tailgator, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Tailgator

Tailgator New Member

Hoping for some advice.

Looking to build a new PC and am unsure of the specs. I've checked in the WP Wiki, https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1
    in particular this build ....

$1,250 ($1,500) Gaming/Multi-Purpose Config High Valuer

CPU: Intel Core i5 7500 $290
    Mobo: ASRock B250M-Pro4 $134
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-2133 C13 $85
    SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB $115
    HDD: Western Digital Blue 7200RPM 1TB $66
    GPU: 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 or AMD RX 480 8GB $380
    Case: Corsair Carbide 200R $89
    PSU: Antec TPC 550W Gold $115
    ODD: (None) (You can install Windows using a USB drive)
    Peripherals: [ 23~24" IPS/PLS 1920x1080 / Microsoft Wired Desktop 600 / Logitech Z120 2.1 ] ($231)

Total: $1,274 ($1,505)

which is around my ball park price.

BUT (there always is one) unfortunately I can't access the page to check when that particular build was last edited and therefore how current it is. So my questions are ....
    1. Can anyone advise me when that particular build was last edited and how up to date is it.
    2. Suggest any other sites which would provide sane and rational build details for roughly the same cost.
    3. Suggest any variations which may provide better value for money on the above.

Thanks folks.

2. Zapmaster14

Zapmaster14 Site Founder Staff Member

Articles:
    Hi!

1. The best site for builds that I can recommend is pcpartpicker (https://au.pcpartpicker.com/) which will find you the best prices and price over time to make sure you're not getting ripped off at that time.
    2. (Refer to 1)
    3. The build you picked is pretty spot on, I would be a little concerned based if you use a lot of games or large files on a 1TB Hard Drive, but if you're a lite user 1TB should be okay. The i5 7500 is a good choice, but if you are doing anything intensive like rendering etc I would recommend going to a skylake i7. I recommend the 1060 Graphics card, I have a 1080 but the 10 series is quite strong in preformance. SSD is solid, RAM is fine, and all in all I think you'll be happy with it!

3. Tailgator

Tailgator New Member

Thanks for the response. I was aware of pcpartpicker - but then if you're not sure of what to put in in the first place it makes it bit of a pointless exercise. Essentially I'm hoping to avoid getting all geeky and spending hours and hours reading up on different components, etc. In other words, going down the rabbit hole. ;-)

Re hard drives, I'll also be including some from the old box.

Thanks for your help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Zapmaster14

Zapmaster14 Site Founder Staff Member

Articles:
    I think pcpartpicker will work well in your scenario since you already know what components you'll be buying, in regards to the hard drives thats great!

Hopefully all goes well. :)

5. nogoingbackwards

nogoingbackwards New Member

I'm more on the trailing edge of desktop PC's - have 2 sharing a monitor. The older one finally started getting Machine Check Exceptions so the motherboard/CPU/RAM was replaced with an old Gigabyte 9I945P Pro, with Intel Pentium D Processor 8x0 (Smithfield A0), 90nm (2 cores), and 2 GiB RAM, and Gigabyte Radeon HD5450 (Cedar) video card with 1GiB RAM, taken from the newer machine, which had its video upgraded to a Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 (Cape Verde) with 2GiB RAM.

It would be good to replace the older machine's motherboard with one that can take a lower thermal power CPU eventually.