This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whirlpool Broadband Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Lounge / Discussuion' started by FibreFTW, Apr 26, 2017.

1. FibreFTW

FibreFTW Moderator Staff Member Premium

Articles:
    Seems as of lately we have people talking about Whirlpool and their way of Moderating and while Zap and me are fine with you talking about that. We'd feel that there'd be a much better place to discuss such things on this board instead of in one of the NBN Threads where it doesn't really fit in.

Feel free to talk about Whirlpool in here but please remember to keep things sensible and cool for all of us and keep this forum / board a friendly place for all.

2. UTC

UTC Active Member

Good old whirlpool. Overrun by trolls and nothing done about it by mods..

"HY writes...

IS there a block function on WP? We could save so much time and effort if all you great posters would do that so we could talk about current crumbling state of things (as much as that pains me) instead of rehashing all the old LNP propaganda sound bites.

I agree. It's totally frustrating when they come in here spilling out the same old politically motivated garbage over & over again. I wish they were somehow banned from this thread, but I guess that's one for the mods."

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FibreFTW

Articles:
    No, not at least from what I recall when I was last on there before calling the quits.

I believe if you use Greasemonkey (Depending which browser you use) there should be something released by the Whirlpool community called "WP+" (Without quotes) that allows you to ignore a users posts.

If you have installed WP+ the ignore user button should be placed next to the - :( :D etc ratings under the username / their quip. When the page is refreshed their posts should show up as

"This posts is hidden by WP+" is something like that.

Trust me Whirlpool won't add it by default in their site no matter how much you ask and beg them too. It'll just be put on the backburner with lots of other great idea's that could of made WP better.

Oh and I guess they don't want their little special trolls getting ignored so that's probably reason one for not having a block function by default on WP.

4. FibreFTW

Articles:
    Well Here's tonight's removed posts from "NBN - Policy, Reporting and Related Issues PT 2, page 89" on Whirlpool

User HY Says

"So KF and his ilk are still distracting you guys with lame, decade old false claims i see.
    IS there a block function on WP? We could save so much time and effort if all you great posters would do that so we could talk about current crumbling state of things (as much as that pains me) instead of rehashing all the old LNP propaganda sound bites."

[​IMG]

Later removed by a Moderator - Off topic

User RockyMarciano says

"I'd recommend downloading WP+ which has the block function.
    Works wonders, there is no reason to unblock the usuals as they add zero discussion to this forum."

[​IMG]

Later removed by a Moderator - Off Topic

User Melbourne Skywalker Says
    "I agree. It's totally frustrating when they come in here spilling out the same old politically motivated garbage over & over again. I wish they were somehow banned from this thread, but I guess that's one for the mods.

Personally I'd like to start discussing the best way forward from this mess, if there is such a thing.
    "

[​IMG]

Later removed by a Moderator - Off Topic

Well Whirlpool doesn't like it when it's users talk against the trolls but the Trolls can talk against the users and do as they please and the Moderators are like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Yes I understand that their talks don't fit in with NBN discussion but come on they also miss the clear as daylight Trolling which I pointed out to Malts when the straw broke the camels back. Apparently saying that to Malts was enough for him to accuse me of trying to bait him and set him up like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ WTF?

I'll start dancing when I hear news of Malts calling the quits. He was the only Moderator on there who I had major issues with. The others didn't seem to mind me in the least. Especially when it came to talking against the Trolls in the NBN threads on there.

5. Ça plane pour moi

Ça plane pour moi Premium Member Premium

I regard the Whirlpool forum as having been so woefully moderated for so long, that last year I emailed the famous linguist David Crystal and said to him that if he wanted a sample for a project on forum moderation and linguistics, he should go to Whirlpool and I gave him a link. The worst example for me was a few years ago when I went to the iinet forums and asked for help and I got gang trolled by two people who even said that they were trolling; yet nothing was done about it and they hijacked my help thread and wrecked it. So I started another thread to try to start again and the moderators deleted that. Sigh.

One thing that forums in general to me get wrong is the lack of postal credit; I can make 999 good posts and then I get zapped out for one post that I cannot honestly see as offensive to anyone. My 999 posts were thus worth absolutely nothing. Yet I put a lot of my valuable time into them. This evening I got zapped from the Twitch Mr Rogers marathon forum because as a fun post I wrote "so many VIBRATE ors " ; the context was that Mr Rogers had 6 musicians playing violins so the strings vibrate. So I got banned from posting for 5 minutes for that? [btw there is no limit on caps so that was nothing to do with it.] Goodness sake people are not allowed to have fun with anything?

To me moderation on forums is at the toddler stage; nobody knows what to do on Whirlpool or anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FibreFTW

Articles:
    Jesus, don't tell me this crap was happening before I even joined Whirlpool. All I'll mention is I started somewhere between 2010 and 2015 and during my early days on there everything was okay but I guess that's because I probably stuck to the NBN area and didn't take part in the coalition NBN policy threads back then.

Nope, the fun age died out years ago apparently. Now if you were to try and have fun again I can assure you people would instantly shoot you back down and tell you to shut up. What an world this has become.

Whirlpool lacks transparency also. When I went into TWAM with Malts after he removed my post and accused me of trolling (if you look at my twitter history you'll see the post I'm referring too) he mentioned that I made X amount of reports during my time on whirlpool and all of them except for one were rejected. So let's say I had 10 reports made. 1 was rejected.

No where on Whirlpool is there a little sub heading or point in your control panel that states how many reports were made, accepted and rejected. If you started TWAM up and asked a moderator I'm sure they'd tell you to bugger off and there's no reason for you to know it. Yet they use the "You made X amount of reports" tactic against you when you complain about the system not working as it should be.

I stopped reporting the Trolls like Kingforce and Stupid Troll Zealot as I wasn't going to be stuffed filling out something that the Moderators would shrug their eyes and head at. My time isn't worth filling out virtual reports that I know the Moderators are just going to ignore.

Edit: Might also mention on here that if requested I'll have no problems with you what so ever requesting how many reports you have made to the Staff team and how many were accepted and rejected. Not sure if I can tell you what report was rejected or accepted but we'll see how things work out as the site grows.

7. Ça plane pour moi

Ça plane pour moi Premium Member Premium

Not everyone will agree with this point of view. That is fine. I would ban Kingforce at least, and maybe GMZ, for the following reason.

Once I was in Toastmasters and it had a committee. There was one old guy who ruined the committee. How? He had a policy of abstaining from all voting. So vote results were often unclear. He even quoted the US Constitution that he had a legal right to abstain. No. I am not trying to be funny. He even showed me a print out of the US Constitution. He all but ruined the Toastmasters Club. Now, he argued that he had a right to an opinion: to abstain. But my response to that is: you have a right X but that does not make it RIGHT. I could drive a car down the road at 10 KM an hour and claim that I have the "right" to enjoy the scenery. Never mind the honking horns behind me.

So sure, Kingforce has a right to an opinion. But that does not make his or her disruptive trolling right and that does not take away its distracting effect on discussions; to me your "right" to express something depends on whether you are constructive. Kingforce isn't constructive, adding little if anything to the debates, repeating troll baiting lines over and over again. King force does make some valid posts. Some valid points that I don't agree with and if Kingforce only stuck to that then I would say don't ban. But back to my point earlier about overall posting; the majority of posts and the broad intent of Kingforce is not to be a constructive poster on Whirlpool.

But if you think that Whirlpool should keep Kingforce then OK, that is your call!

8. FibreFTW

Articles:
    Okay ... Perhaps I've been too hard on them. Yes he is expressing he's opinion but he and GMZ try to push their opinions as fact or truth which is what really grinds my fibers. We know what they are saying isn't true and there's only so many times you can swallow their crap before you get sick and tired of it and just want to tell them to shut up.

Again clear as Daylight trolling as I like to call it. Malts has major difficulty seeing this but can sniff out any posts from other members on the board accusing the troll of trolling or making misleading claims up. Just ask Frank Buijk this if he doesn't mind answering questions. I believe he was saying no to Malt's crap and wasn't taking any of it. Yet Malts is stuck in he's little biased and snob world couldn't give two fuds apparently.

I don't know if It was Frank or a person named DJOS_500 (One of them) but one of them went as far as to point out to Malts that they had experience in the industry and knew for a fact what Kingforce and GMZ claim to say isn't true and is just repeat after repeat the same lines which is misleading if you ask me.

Again Malts gave no sh*ts and removed the TWAM session from that user. I believe even Mark Gregory from RMIT was banned from Whirlpool (Not sure but my mind might be playing tricks on this one)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MajorFoley

MajorFoley Member

Yeah well if GMZ is still there he hasnt been for a while unless he goes under that stupid new name All carb Fibre Zelot

10. FibreFTW

Articles:
    Likely so.

I pointed out he's quip once (While being serious and still on topic) and the Senior moderator back on ol Whirlpool tore me a new one and then further said I was trolling?

Trolling for pointing out someones stupid quip that was to do with

"Copper is making AU gr8 again"
    You can guess who that belongs too.

If he called me an Anti-Copper Zealot which you could say I am since I'm pro Fibre because of it's benefits then I'm sure the whirlpool moderators wouldn't have gave two sh*ts to say the least.
    Bash the trolls and your the person who's just as bad as the other apparently.

No wonder people got so p*ssed off with him back on WP.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zapmaster14

Zapmaster14 Site Founder Staff Member

Articles:
    Its a little weird to comment here on another site that I must say I joined quite late, but I feel that some comment is appropriate.

I would still allow people like kingforce etc here, I think its important though to understand how our rules work, all opinions are allowed here, but making any deliberate, misleading, or otherwise false comments to deliberatly disrail, provoke reaction or otherwise change the topic of the conversation. Is not allowed.

I think it would be great to have more debate here, but I must also not allow us to derail into trolls getting the protection and legit users getting "hurt"

Thats why it took us quite a while to find the right mix in the rules to allow fair debate but make sure trolls wouldn't be allowed while also keeping reasonable protection for people who have "not mainstream" opinions.

I hope that makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MajorFoley

MajorFoley Member

Which they honestly did, when you provided evidence when they were wrong, they'd turn a blind eye, come back and repeat the same crap. They never tried to add anyting new and ALWAYS their info came from either sources that were never independent or NBNco itself which lets be honest, werent really 100% the greatest under Labor either, but at least were transparent at the time

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Zapmaster14

Zapmaster14 Site Founder Staff Member

Articles:
    I certainly agree, thats why I started this forum in protest and to make sure that those of us who wish to have an open discussion have a place to do that, and im happy to see other people agree with me. :)

Thanks!

14. FibreFTW

Articles:
    Seriously?
    Then again this sh*t has been going on for a long time now so there isn't anything surprising here.

Now I don't know every last inch of the NBN or everything in every last inch of detail but I know that there were experts on there that were pretty smart with anything to do with the NBN. Seems as of 2017 WP's NBN policy is it's screw the experts and let the trolls rot the place to hell.

I'd like to know how the fudge Mark Gregory's posts are spam. I bet you they aren't even spam but the moderators think they are because they are as blind as a bat.

They are able to Pick Gregory's posts and others out a mile away but yet can't smell the troll(s) from the same distance and when pointed out it's like as if they don't exist or aren't even trolls when they are.

Something is screwy with their inner logic.

Wonder if this is all Malts doing?
    Defaulty (Who's retired according to the last time I saw he's quip) was a pretty silent moderator but okay in my opinion. Most of my posts calling out the trolls on their sh*t that ended up being hidden by a moderator was done by Malts, even I spoke to others when I quit WP and they all said the same thing happened to them. It was Malts.

I had one final dig at Malts in TWAM but realised I wasn't going to win either way so I left it there (I have screencaptures of my twitter of the TWAM that were uploaded back in March this year). I only went back on one more final time in April or May I believe (between 60 days ago) and had one more dig at KF and he's bullsh*t logic. Funny how I call them out on their sh*t and ask them to post actual details and facts to back up their claim and they can't even do that and they run off. That should at least be a warning sign to the Moderators that this user is only here to stir up sh*t and not participate or discuss things in a civil manner.

Can't say I miss WP one little bit nor am I surprised the site is still going into a Whirlpool.

15. nogoingbackwards

nogoingbackwards New Member

I think it was because he posted a link to one of his own articles and it was seen as self-promotion.

16. nogoingbackwards

nogoingbackwards New Member

Had an article removed in the thread from the 4 Corners journalist where I claimed that I experience better communication with the locals in Japan even though I don't know their language than I do with NBNCo.